This pattern is an absolute favourite of mine. It is so easy and so flattering, with a nice interfaced firm bodice, which gives plenty of structure and a tailored fit to the waist, loose halter neck and full circle skirt that is chock full of fabric. The ’60s barnet is entirely optional.
It is also easily adaptable to having a variety of skirt lengths, a pencil skirt or a full bodice. I decided to make this, for my first attempt, in a gorgeous Liberty Hera tana lawn. The picture on the right is to show just how much fabric is in that skirt!
The pictures don’t really do it justice beacuse of the weird pink filter (not instagram related, just the fault of my kitchen) so here is the unadulterated fabric pattern below. It’s primarily blue and copper, but from a distance really blends into this nice neutral tone.
I loved the dress so much that I made it again, this time with a grey paisley cotton blend from McCulloch & Wallace. It is a beautiful fabric with these raised floral details picked out in a navy velvet, making it a nice multi-textured experience. Anyway, here are some details of the fabric and the gathers under the bust as well as the whole dress in action.
I did both dresses as lightweight summer dresses so the skirt was fully unlined, although the bodice was lined with the same fabric and then attached to the waist band. For the pencil skirt variation a lining might be advisable.
The only painful part of the full skirt is having to hem the equivalent of a whole circus tent!